Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lately








There was Christmas. I roasted lamb. My brother and I grilled oysters. My mother and I made toast out of brioche baked by my talented colleague, Andrew. We may or may not have had a family dance party. Then there was New Years. Jess and I made potato gnocchi with tomato sauce. We made salad with fresh ricotta. We played Cards Against Humanity and laughed a lot. There have been breakfasts in bakeries. Early morning walks. Late mornings writing in bed. I spent a weekend in Vermont, where I went downhill skiing for the first time in eight years. I grew up ski racing, but I hadn’t touched a pair of skis since before the accident and resulting knee surgery. My knee has felt stable and strong for a while now, but I’d been holding on to my fear. I was afraid that I’d forgotten how to move. Afraid that I’d get hurt. It came right back, though, that muscle memory of boot in ski, of ski on snow. And as I stood on that mountain this past Saturday, an abnormally warm Saturday for January, the sky a brilliant blue above the lingering haze of fog, it felt good to let the last vestiges of my injury go.

9 comments:

Lecia said...

What a way to start the year - "letting the last vestiges of my injury go." The best news I've heard all day. xo

Megan Ginsberg said...

Yay skiing! Love all the pictures. And I think Cards Against Humanity is on my list of new games to check out now.

summer said...

Glad to see you back in this space! Sounds like you had a wonderfully busy holiday! And good for you getting back out there! I'm too scared to try skiing at all.

Molly said...

Lecia: Thanks, lady. It felt pretty damn good.

Megan: YES. Cards Against Humanity is good for inappropriate laughs.

Summer: Glad to be here again. For me, the anticipation of skiing was far scarier than the actual act.

Bruce said...

Good on you for facing that fear.

I'm currently recovering from a badly broken arm (unlucky fall onto an unforgiving concrete sidewalk in December). Started PT last week, and my own fear is that I won't recover full range of motion and strength in that arm. But I have an excellent therapist, so hopefully that fear will turn out to be unfounded.

fernandorafael said...

Hi Molly. I just finished reading Season to Taste and LOVED it. Would love to follow your blog. Is there a way to follow by e-mail?

nicole said...

I like the looks of your lately - so delicious and cozy :) So glad you are DONE with your injury - skiing is a great way to celebrate!

HRH Sarah said...

Hooray for skiing! I tried it for the first time last week, at the age of 33. Let's just say, I don't like being cold, and it would have been a lot easier if I had learned as a kid. I went down so many times because of my fear of going too fast, and could NOT get up without popping off a ski. Made me feel so old. I have put myself on the Cards Against Humanity waiting list, thank you for the link. Even the website made me giggle maniacally... Congrats on pushing back at your fear and hesitation, good stuff. I had a close call a few years ago, which caused me to feel utterly fragile and afraid for a long time, and I know what a struggle it is to overcome it.

cheap sterling silver jewelry said...

Nice post , i hope everyone will like your post